Hello foodie family,
Before making this recipe, I always wondered what to do with coconut milk every time I buy it. So after discussing with Sandra, we decided to make curry which also fits the season of soups and porridge. When I say coconut milk add another dimension to this curry porridge, it really does! It makes the porridge so creamy and simply, delicious.
When picking out coconut milk we also try to make sure that it is 99.9% coconut extract and not filled with water (as most are when we checked). The main reason for this is that when cooking, we added lots of water but, with a coconut milk rich in flavor, we didn’t have to worry about diluting the taste as much. So if there is any advice I could give in regards to making a creamy coconut curry porridge, it is to buy a rich in flavor coconut milk.
Here are the steps we used to make our extra creamy, and simply delicious porridge!
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup of cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup of cooked kidney beans
- 1 can of coconut cream/milk
- 2 onions- sliced (not in the picture)
- 11/2 tbsp of olive oil (to fry the onions)
- 1 tbsp of sesame seeds (optional)
- Spices: Goat curry (also has a thickening affect), salt, maggi (put according to taste)
- Prepare all ingredients. Cook the chickpeas until it is soft, as well as the kidney beans. Cut up the potatoes into small pieces (as displayed in the picture). Cut up the onions. Also bring out all your spices for ready use.
2. Start by adding the olive oil to your pot. After it heats up for a bit, add your chopped up onions. Stir fry until your onions has turn golden.
3. Add the coconut milk to the pot, as well as the potatoes. Add the curry, salt and Maggi seasoning to the pot, plus around 2 cups of water. Close the pot to cook for 15 minutes.
4. Now that the potatoes may be almost done, add other ingredients- chickpeas, black beans, and sesame seeds. Another 2 cups of water plus, additional salt and seasoning to fit taste buds.
5. Cook for another 15 minutes, and put to boil. Let the food cool down and there you have Coconut potato curry porridge!
I hope you try it out soon, and let us know what you think!
Bye for now,