I just wanted to say I am an avid fan of Korean food and I also love cooking, so I obviously tried cooking a few Korean recipes at home and I definitely had to add my twist to it.
My favourite Korean Chef is Maangchi (www.maangchi.com), I watch many of her YouTube videos and lurk around her website, no shame in that. Anyways, I got the original Korean kimchi fried rice from her and I wanted to see if this would work with quinoa. IT DID!!
Now unto this simple Kimchi fried Quinoa
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup Kimchi (chopped: remember to save the dripping kimchi juice)
- ¼ cup kimchi juice (see! I said you would need it.)
- 2-3 Tbsp Gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
- 3 + 1 tsp sesame oil
- Hand full of shredded Kim (Roasted Seaweed)
- ½ cup onion or 1 Tbs of onion powder (optional but adds great flavour)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder (optional. I like it spicy!)
Maangchi’s recipes calls for more ingredient but I kept mine simple plus I didn’t have some of them.
It’s really as easy as I had mention before.
- In a pan or skillet heat up 1 Tbsp of sesame oil, add the optional onion then stir fry for 1- 2 mins in medium heat. Now add the chopped kimchi and stir fry for another 1 min.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the pan and stir it, add the precious kimchi juice and continue to stir. Time for the gochujang, add it and stir into the mixture, this is also the time to add that optional (not for me) Chili powder. make sure it is fully mixed it!
- Add the other 2 Tbsp of sesame oil (I did not forget them), I just love the taste of anything sesame. Let it cook for another minute or so (I love when It burns a little at the bottom).
Remove from heat and transfer to a serving plate or eat right out of the pan. No judging here.
Last but not least, garnish with shredded Kim ( toasted seaweed)
Stay healthy Foodster,